Bruges
HOME - PICTURES - VIDEOS - THE CITY - ATTRACTIONS - MUSEUMS - MONUMENTS - CATHEDRALS - CHURCHES - RESTAURANTS - NIGHTLIFE - CAR RENTAL - MAPS - HOTELS - HOSTELS

THE CHAPEL OF THE HOLY BLOOD - BRUGES

WELCOME TO BRUGES ATTRACTIONS SECTION. HERE YOU WILL SEE INFORMATION, HISTORY AND PICTURES OF THE CHAPEL OF THE HOLY BLOOD IN BRUGES, BEGLIUM.
 
The Chapel of the Holy Blood - Bruges

The chapel of the Holy Blood is actually a double chapel which can be visited on the 'Burg' square in Bruges. It was first constructed in the 12th century and promoted to the rank of Basilica in 1923. One can enter the church on the first floor where the Holy Blood is kept via the 'Steeghere' which is a beautifully decorated façade behind which a staircase leads to the first floor. The original façade was constructed in late-gothic and renaissance style in the 16th century. It was demolished in the aftermath of the French Revolution and later rebuild and slightly moved. The guild statues represent Flemish counts.The lower part is called the Basilius chapel. It has preserved its original Romanesque style from the 12th-13th century. On the left side of the choir is the former chapel of the clerks of the civil registry (1503) and on the right side one can see a statue of the Virgin from around 1300. The passage between the main nave and the sidechapel is decorated with a tympanum, which is a sculptured stone in half-relief, probably representing the baptism of St. Basilius.
The Chapel of the Holy Blood - Bruges
The church on the first floor is the actual chapel of the Holy Blood. The church itself was originally built in Romanesque style like the Basilius church on the ground floor. It was changed completely in gothic style in the 15th century and again in 1823. The mural decorations in the present church are from this second renovation in the 19th century. The original stained-glass windows have been removed after the French Revolution. Some of the original ones ended up in the Victoria and Albert museum in London. The copies which can be seen in the church today also date from the 19th century renovation. The silver altar is the place where the relic is preserved during the week. The relic is shown to the public every Friday and every day from the 3rd to the 17th of May. Outside the chapel is the Holy Blood museum, which contains the shrine for the Holy Blood and other treasures belonging to the chapel.


Location (Address)   Telephone
Burg 13, Brugge 8000, Belgium   Tel: 050-33-67-92

 

BRUGES CHURCHES AND BRUGES CATHEDRALS

Our Lady's Church - Bruges
Our Ladys Church
When approaching Bruges, one can already see from afar the highest tower in the city, the tower of Our Lady's Church. Although this church is not the most important one on the religious level (St Salvator's church is) it certainly attracts most visitors because of its medieval character and the important works of art that can be admired here. Full Text
   
The Chapel of the Holy Blood - Bruges
The Chapel of the Holy Blood
The chapel of the Holy Blood is actually a double chapel which can be visited on the 'Burg' square in Bruges. It was first constructed in the 12th century and promoted to the rank of Basilica in 1923. One can enter the church on the first floor where the Holy Blood is kept via the 'Steeghere' which is a beautifully decorated façade behind which a staircase leads to the first floor. Full Text
   
The Jerusalem Church - Bruges
The Jerusalem Church
The Jerusalem church has preserved its original style almost completely, which is quite rare in Belgium. Furthermore, the church is still privately owned. The church belonged to the Adornes family, a family of merchants who came from Genoa in Italy to the 13th century Bruges. Their descendants still own the Jerusalem church today. Full Text
 
Links - Advertising - Privacy Policy - Contact us
Copyright © 1998-2012, Visit-Bruges.com. All rights reserved.