Bruges
HOME - PICTURES - VIDEOS - THE CITY - ATTRACTIONS - MUSEUMS - MONUMENTS - CATHEDRALS - CHURCHES - RESTAURANTS - NIGHTLIFE - CAR RENTAL - MAPS - HOTELS - HOSTELS

OUR LADY'S CHURCH - BRUGES

WELCOME TO BRUGES ATTRACTIONS SECTION. HERE YOU WILL SEE INFORMATION, HISTORY AND PICTURES OF OUR LADY'S CHURCH IN BRUGES, BEGLIUM.
 
Our Lady's Church - Bruges

When approaching Bruges, one can already see from afar the highest tower in the city, the tower of Our Lady's Church. Although this church is not the most important one on the religious level (St Salvator's church is) it certainly attracts most visitors because of its medieval character and the important works of art that can be admired here.
Architecturally Our Lady does not present a uniform style. The construction has to be situated between the second half of the 13th century and the late 15th century. The style varies from late Romanesque style over Scheldt-Gothic to French Gothic.
Our Lady's Church - Bruges
Furthermore, in the 18th century Our Lady was transformed into a more contemporary style. Around 1900, however, the church was renovated whereby the renovators tried to re-establish the original medieval styles. The most important and eye-catching part of the church is certainly the tower. The building started in the middle of the 13th century. The tower reaches a heigth of 122 meters, which makes it the second highest church tower in Belgium (The cathedral of Antwerp has the highest tower: 123 m !). A really enormous mass of bricks was used for the tower. It is impossible to imagine that this mighty edifice could one day collapse or that some authority would decide to demolish it. The tower looks like it was built for eternity.

The reason why so many tourists visit Our Lady is, of course, the presence of the Madonna by Michelangelo and the splendid tombstones of Mary of Burgundy and her father Charles the Bold.


Michelangelo's Madonna

In the sacrament chappel in the right wing of the church is the famous Madonna by Michelangelo. This beautiful marble sculpture is the only sculpture by the great Italian artist that can be seen in the Low Countries. It was made for the cathedral of Sienna, but two merchands from Bruges (Jan and Alexander Moscroen) brought it to Bruges after one of their business trips to Italy in 1506.


The tombs of the Dukes of Burgundy

Our Lady's Church - Bruges
In the choir of the church are the splendid tombstones of Mary of Burgundy and her father Charles the Bold. Duchess Mary reigned over the Low Countries in the last part of the 15th century and died in Bruges in 1482 after she fell from her horse during a hunting trip in the surroundings of Bruges. Her father had died in 1477 in Nancy, France. In 1550 the remains of Charles the Bold were brought to Bruges and buried next to those of his daughter Mary. The tombs of both dukes were decorated in late gothic style (Mary's) and early renaissance style (Charles'). In front of both tombs is a triptych by Barend van Orley.






Location (Address)   Telephone
Vrouwekerkhof Zuid, Brugge 8000, Belgium   Tel: 00 32-0-50 33 19 17

 

BRUGES CHURCHES AND BRUGES CATHEDRALS

Our Lady's Church - Bruges
Our Ladys Church
When approaching Bruges, one can already see from afar the highest tower in the city, the tower of Our Lady's Church. Although this church is not the most important one on the religious level (St Salvator's church is) it certainly attracts most visitors because of its medieval character and the important works of art that can be admired here. Full Text
   
The Chapel of the Holy Blood - Bruges
The Chapel of the Holy Blood
The chapel of the Holy Blood is actually a double chapel which can be visited on the 'Burg' square in Bruges. It was first constructed in the 12th century and promoted to the rank of Basilica in 1923. One can enter the church on the first floor where the Holy Blood is kept via the 'Steeghere' which is a beautifully decorated façade behind which a staircase leads to the first floor. Full Text
   
The Jerusalem Church - Bruges
The Jerusalem Church
The Jerusalem church has preserved its original style almost completely, which is quite rare in Belgium. Furthermore, the church is still privately owned. The church belonged to the Adornes family, a family of merchants who came from Genoa in Italy to the 13th century Bruges. Their descendants still own the Jerusalem church today. Full Text
 
Links - Advertising - Privacy Policy - Contact us
Copyright © 1998-2012, Visit-Bruges.com. All rights reserved.